How to Apply for Undergraduate Students
Entering freshmen and students transferring from other higher education institutions must apply to UNM through Admissions.
Students transferring from University College into the College of Arts & Sciences (A&S) and declaring Sociology or Criminology as a major must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of the UNM Core requirements
- Possess a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher
- Satisfy the English Competency Requirement in one of these ways:
- Completion of Engl 102 with a grade of C or higher
- A score of 29 or better on the English portion of the Enhanced ACT
- A score of 650 or better on the verbal portion of the SAT
- Credit for Engl 102 through CEEB advanced placement program.
- Acceptance of the writing proficiency portfolio
- Completion of at least two department courses as follows:
- Sociology: SOC 101 and any one (1) additional Sociology class.
- Criminology: SOC 101 and SOC 205, or SOC 211, or SOC 213.
Students should make an appointment to see the departmental advisor at 277-2501. Bring your Arts & Sciences Graduation Requirements Checklist and your LOBOTrax degree audit to the meeting..
Students do not have to wait until they have transferred into their major program to begin coursework.