Sociology Graduate Student Association
SGSA is an officially recognized, student-led organization that manages sociology graduate student affairs. Our monthly meetings serve as professional forums to discuss research, teaching and issues of graduate student life in the department more broadly. Most importantly, SGSA represents the voice of the sociology graduate students to the department and to the greater university administration. SGSA also coordinates regular social events, including fall and spring department parties, and regular Friday afternoon happy hours.
Research Groups and Activities
- Department Colloquium: Held 2nd and 4th Fridays of every month, with the exception of holidays. Social Sciences Building 1061 (Commons) unless otherwise noted. See calendar for details. Contacts: Dr. Reuben (Jack) Thomas, Dr. Eli Wilson, and Dr. Ryan Goodman.
- Weekly Sit-and-Write: TBD
- Sub-discipline study groups
- Criminology Reading Group:Monthly meetings, 3rd Wednesday of the month at 2:00pm in Commons. Contact: Lisa Broidy.
- Qualitative Research Working Collective: Monthly meetings, 2nd Wednesday of the month at 1pm. Contact: Rose Rohrer.
- Medical Sociology Reading Group (MedHeads): Monthly meetings, 3rd Friday of the month at 3pm. Contact: Brian Soller.
- Race Working Group:Typically held 1st Friday at 2pm. Contact: Jessica Goodkind.
- Social Movements: Held 3rd Friday of the month at 3pm. Ccontact: Sharon Nepstad.
Community and Social Activities
- SGSA Coffee Hour is held Wednesdays at 11am in the Sociology Commons
- SGSA Happy Hour will be after Every Colloquium ~4:30ish.
- Geeks Who Drink Spring 2019
2017-2018 SGSA Leadership Team
2018-2019 SGSA Meetings
Next SGSA Meetings (subject to change): every 3rd Friday of the month @ 1:30pm