Sociology Graduate Student Association
SGSA is an officially recognized, student-led organization that manages sociology graduate student affairs. Our monthly meetings serve as professional forums to discuss research, teaching and issues of graduate student life in the department more broadly. Most importantly, SGSA represents the voice of the sociology graduate students to the department and to the greater university administration. SGSA also coordinates regular social events, including fall and spring department parties, and regular Friday afternoon happy hours.
For more information, please contact:
Research Groups and Activities
- Colloquium dates for Spring 2017 semester: (2nd and 4th Fridays of every month, with the exception of holidays), Social Sciences Building 1061 (Commons) unless otherwise noted. See calendar for details; for questions, contact: Dr. Aubrey Jackson and/or Alex MacLennan and Sam Torres.
- Weekly Sit-and-Write: Each Wednesday 8 to 2. Fine Arts Library (map), Room #7. Hide the snacks.
- Sub-discipline study groups: See calendar for further details.
- Criminology Reading Group:
Monthly meetings, 3rd Wednesday of the month at 2:00pm in Commons.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 at 2:00pm. . Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 at 2pm (this meeting will be shared with the Race/Ethnicity group).
- Qualitative Research Working Collective:
Monthly meetings, 1st Friday of the month at 4pm. For details or questions, contact: Rose Rohrer.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, September 11th, 2015 at 4:00 at Satellite at SUB.
- Gender Working Group:
No formally scheduled meetings this semester. For activity details or questions, contact: Rose Rohrer.
- Global and Transnational Studies Reading Group:
2nd Mondays of the month at 2:00pm. For details or questions, contact: Eric Turner
- Medical Sociology Reading Group (MedHeads):
Monthly meetings, 3rd Friday of the month at 3pm. For questions, contact: Estela Vasquez
- Race Working Group:Typically 3rd Fridays at 2pm; For questions, contact: Alma Hernandez. [Special meetingWednesday, October 21st, 2015 at 2pm in Commons (mashup with Crim)] November 13th.
Next Meeting: Friday, September 18th; Wednesday at Commons (this meeting will be shared with the Criminology group.
- Social Movements: 3rd Fridays of the month at 3pm
For questions, contact: Eric Turner
- Criminology Reading Group:
Community and Social Activities
- SGSA Coffee Hour
- SGSA Happy Hour will be after Every Colloquium ~4:30ish.
- Geeks Who Drink Date/Time TBA
...close this section...
Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Associatio (ASA) August 20-23, 2016 in Seattle, WA
87th annual meeting of the Pacific Sociological Associatio (PSA). March 30 - April 2, 2016 in Oakland, California
97th annual Southwestern Social Science Association (SSSA) Meetings March 23-26, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada
2016-2017 SGSA Leadership Team
President: Alex MacLennan and Neil Greene
Vice President: Sofia Locklear and Sam Torres
Secretary: Amy Armstrong
Treasurer: Alena Kuhlemeier
Graduate Representative:Drew Breidenbach
GPSA Representatives: Jenna Dole and Yuka Doherty
Social Events Coordinator: Charlie Christian and Keith Wilkins
Tech Guru (Web & IT): Valerio Di Fonzo
2016-2017 SGSA Meetings
Next Meeting: TBA
2015-2016 SGSA Meeting Minutes:
- SGSA March 4, 2016 Minutes
- SGSA February 26, 2016 Minutes
- SGSA February 12, 2016 Minutes
- SGSA January 29, 2016 Minutes
- September 15th Meeting Minutes
- August 2015 Meeting Minutes